Tuesday 30 November 2010

HARRY'S HORRENDOUS HAIR CUT

In this age of instant information and widespread computer access, there's no excuse for not knowing how to take care of rabbits and what they require for their care. Just as dogs and cats have different needs, so bunnies have their own set of requirements for healthy living. I highly recommend The House Rabbit Society because it has a wealth of information for both novice and experienced rabbit owners.

In the summer of 2000, a friend of a friend gave me a bedraggled black and white bunny named Harry. His long fur was so matted and his rump so caked with feces that he could barely move. He formerly spent his days in a cramped carrier that stunk horribly. After taking him to a vet to get the mat and feces removed, Harry's fur began growing until it became a tangled mess. No matter how often I brushed him, mats and knots kept occurring.

From my When a Man Loves a Rabbit (Learning and Living With Bunnies), here is how I learned first hand just how much care fuzzy lops needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't realize how expensive it would be to take care of
Harry. In November, I had friends take him to the vet for a
haircut. The poor guy's long, fine fur tangled easily and all my
brushing only helped a little and made Harry angry with me. He
soon avoided me whenever I had a hairbrush in hand.

While the vet was working on my lop-eared lad, I went
shopping for groceries and other things. When I returned, I was
handed the bill. It was over sixty dollars. I couldn't believe it.

"We had to anaesthetize him because he kept squirming,"
the vet tech informed me.

My heart sunk as I visualized paying that amount every
three months.

=================================================================

When a Man Loves a Rabbit contains many more stories of life with house bunnies. These range from the tragic to the hilarious. Click Here to read more about this book and to order it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.