Friday 5 November 2010

SOMETHING THE PET STORES DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW.


Did you know that you can make your own pet toys? Many folks assume that they can only buy them from the pet store. With all the rabbits I've lived with, I've discovered that they often ignored the store-bought chew toys that I gave them while they had hours of fun with the ones I made.

From my debut memoir, When a Man Loves a Rabbit (Learning and Living With Bunnies), here's how I turned a discarded cardboard box into a chew toy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

One November afternoon, while shopping at Dickensfield
Mall, I found a cardboard box with hand holes and no lid. I took
it home and decided to play another prank on Gideon.

I placed the box over him and waited to see what he'd do. Would my bunny bro try to chew his way out?

At first, he pawed at the holes. When that didn't work, he
started nibbling at the bottom edge of one of them. My bunny
buddy made steady progress and the hand hole grew larger. He
tried several times to hop through it, but broke off the leap at the last minute. His whiskers must have told him it was still too small.

Finally, he leapt through the new opening and took his
bearings. That silly rabbit seemed to be having so much fun
chewing the box and ripping it up that he almost forgot he was
escaping it. He hopped in and out of his former prison, rejoicing
in the novelty of his newfound freedom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When a Man Loves a Rabbit contains many more stories of life with house bunnies. These range from the tragic to the hilarious. Click Here to read more about this book and to order it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.