Tuesday 7 December 2010

HAY DUST SETS OFF SMOKE DETECTOR.

Technology is wonderful when it works. Smoke alarms have saved countless lives and prevented massive fires. Many of these devices are monitored by security companies, giving property owners added protection while being away from home or work.

With every technological benefit, there's a down side. I was reminded of this fact in 2001 when my monitored security alarm kept sending false signals from the smoke detector. In my When a Man Loves a Rabbit (Learning and Living With Bunnies) memoir, I explained how I solved this problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I learned something surprising in December about my hay supply. The dust coming from it was setting off my monitored smoke detector. After about the fourth or fifth false alarm and a visit by a technician, I decided to move my bunny's food. Back in 1999, I had purchased a plastic cooler. Since it was only being used for storage, I decided a cardboard box could hold the junk just as well. I emptied the cooler and put the hay inside of it. Then I put my new hay container in the bathroom, making sure to place water bottles beside it, so that Gideon wouldn't try to squeeze between it and the wall.

There were no more false alarms caused by hay dust after that. Plus, the alfalfa stayed fresher in the container.

Once again, Gideon was mystified by the changes I'd made. He sniffed around the laundry room and searched for the missing ironing board with its coveted stash of hay. The poor lad even thumped at the strangeness of it all.

I sympathized with him, remembering how annoyed I had become when my mother rearranged and tidied up my things?particularly when I was a teenager.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When a Man Loves a Rabbit contains many more charming stories of life with house bunnies. These range from the tragic to the hilarious. Click here to read more about this book and to order it. You may also e-mail me directly if the comment form doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.