Friday 11 February 2011

ONE FUNNY MALADY.

Have you ever had whooping cough? Children usually find little to laugh at when it comes to being ill. Even so, my dorm mates and I couldn't help but laugh when I came down with that malady in the winter of 1966.

In Deliverance From Jericho (Six Years in a Blind School), I related how my cough set off a chain reaction of hilarity among the junior boys of the school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the dorm, I came down with whooping cough. It was the only time I had a hilarious malady. A chain reaction occurred whenever I started coughing. The other boys laughed at the funny sound of it, then I would start laughing at their laughter, then their laughter would start me coughing all the more, which made them laugh even harder. My sides eventually ached from both the laughing and coughing. That was one of the few times when I gained popularity with the rest of the boys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Deliverance from Jericho contains many more vignettes of what life was like in that government-run institution. These range from poignant experiences of homesickness to hilarious incidents of mischief. Click here to read more about this book and to order it. You may also e-mail me directly if the comment form doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.