Monday 14 March 2011

THE DEVIL'S MUSIC, EH?

Believe it or not, people used to say that rock music was evil and good Christians mustn't listen to it. In spite of Elvis Presley's gospel albums, Ocean's 1970 hit single, and Cliff Richard's steadfast example of a sanctified rock singer, church elders persisted in the errant notion that no good could come of this beat-oriented musical style.

In my upcoming How I Was Razed memoir, I wrote about the times when my love of rock music was challenged and insulted by those who despised it. Here is one example of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My fellow church members seemed upset with my conduct during that spring as well. "You shouldn't be listening to that sinful music," Sister R admonished as we ate sandwiches in Sister E's kitchen after one Sunday service. "You shouldn't be wearing your hair long either. Don't you know that we're supposed to be in the world but not of it?"

"I don't think it's that bad. I like it," I said as I ran a hand through my shoulder-length brown locks.

"It's ungodly and you mustn't let it defile your mind."

"There's nothing wrong with rock music. Some bands even sing about Jesus."

"But, Bruce, it's such an ungodly racket. How can you even hear the words? And your hair, it looks so unkempt."

"I like having my hair long. What's wrong with long hair?"

"The Bible says it's a sin. Brother H also said you should keep it short so that if you get in a fight, nobody can grab hold of it."

I sighed and mused, "It's pointless to argue with them. They just don't get it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How I Was Razed is the testimony of the way I was mislead by a cult church, how I turned my back on God after I felt he perennially failed to heal my eyes, and how he graciously brought me to my senses.

My previous books are now available for purchase online by clicking here. You may click here to e-mail me directly as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.