Friday 30 September 2011

INVASION OF THE METAL MONSTER.

Did you know that rabbits are suspicious of any changes in their territory? I discovered this by accident one day when I bought something at a garage sale and put it in my bedroom. Gideon, the house rabbit who taught me so much about his kind, reacted in a completely different way than I imagined when he discovered what I had bought.

From When a Man Loves a Rabbit (Learning and Living With Bunnies), here's the hilarious story of how my fur friend came nose to wheel with my purchase.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On the same Saturday that Heather and Jason returned for the bunnies, I went to a neighbourhood garage sale. Among all the items in the driveway was an exercise bike. When I found out that it was only five dollars, I bought it. Then I realized that I'd have to lug it the three blocks back to my home.

As I consoled myself with the fact that it was a nice afternoon and that I had plenty of time, the woman who was looking after the sale took pity on me.

"How far do you live from here?" she asked. I told her."We could give you a lift home if you want."

Accepting her kind offer, I loaded my things into the car and the bike was in my bedroom in a matter of minutes. Meanwhile, Gideon was impatient to be freed from his cage and when I opened the door, he raced out to survey the house?not knowing what waited for him in his territory.

Once my sock hurler arrived at the bedroom door, he froze. The poor guy was shocked and it took him a few minutes to work up the nerve to approach and sniff the bluish-grey metallic monster. I had never before seen his ears so far forward or his pink eyes so wide open. He crept up to the metal invader and acted as if it would pounce on him at any moment. When it didn't move and attack him, he gave it an intense sniffing. A half hour later, Gideon was still leery of it, but eventually he became used to the exercise machine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When a Man Loves a Rabbit contains many more fascinating stories of life with house bunnies. These range from the tragic to the hilarious. Click here to read more about this book and to order it. You may also e-mail me directly if the comment form doesn't work.

1 comment:

  1. He is so cute, and I could picture it, because I have a bun that will attack anything new.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.