Tuesday 29 May 2012

THE CURSE OF PETTY BUREAUCRATS.

If I hadn't been there myself, I would scarcely believe that adults in charge of disabled children could be so feckless and corrupt. Yet it did happen and I'm not the only one who witnessed the climate of inbred mistrust at Jericho Hill School for the Deaf and Blind. From a report by an anonymous supervisor at my dorm, here's his conclusion regarding the abuses of the public's trust which these individuals committed. ----------------------------------------------------------------- To conclude, these are the questions that we try to give an answer to, in order to console the Resident boys and girls who are so bewildered. The trampoline should not be used, as Mr. Freemantle was angry; the Bowling Alley has been closed because Mr. Armitage has said it must be closed; you must give 'your urine because Mr. Freemantle has said so, and it is wanted for some tests (one blind boy asked me whether this would mean that they were going to have an operation). What is the real reason for the snacks ending? Why has Mrs. Pearson got all the keys to the Tyler House Boys' lockers, when they should be in the hands of the appropriate Instructors? Why are the drawers of the boys gone through regularly when nobody is present or on duty? Why should the children be made to walk on the paths, though there are acres of available grass? WhY is there so much resistance in letting the kids go on regular camps? One of the reasons is that Mr. Bryce complains he's not the bus driver. ----------------------------------------------------------------- I wish I had this shocking report when I wrote my Deliverance from Jericho: Six Years in a Blind School memoir. It filled in many blanks and explained a large number of arbitrary decisions made by the administrators. Please check my book link for more information regarding my memoir of those times. You're welcome to e-mail me directly with your questions or comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.