Tuesday 8 May 2012

GASTRO-INTESTINAL STASIS: a valid reason to panic.

Have you ever had a rabbit who refused to eat? Chances are that he or she suffered from gastro-intestinal stasis. Since bunnies die in a few days from this digestive malfunction, they need immediate veterinary attention. In When a Man Loves a Rabbit: Learning and Living With Bunnies, here's what I wrote about the time when my beloved bunny, Gideon, seemed to have gastro-intestinal stasis. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Gideon gave me quite a fright in May. He hadn't eaten much and his droppings were only about two millimetres in diameter. I called the Redwater Vet Clinic in the morning and asked if I could bring my fur-clad bunny lad in. Then I began the frustrating process of trying to get a lift into town. Most of my church friends had day jobs, so they couldn't drive me. I asked Pastor Wayne if he knew someone who could help and he had a hard time thinking of anybody who would be available. I finally found a ride into Redwater. Gideon was highly unimpressed at being stuffed into Harry's carrier. I had to use that one because the door on the purple carrier was broken and I didn't get it fixed in time. And off we went to the vet. I was in a bit of a panic because the doctor had to go to an emergency call and he wasn't sure when he'd be back. Luckily, the vet was there when we arrived. I left Gideon in their care and went shopping to make use of my trip. When I returned to the clinic, my bunny wasn't quite ready yet. I waited for the vet to finish checking his mouth and the doctor discovered that Gideon had something, he didn't say what, stuck between his incisors. No wonder the poor dude hadn't eaten his pellets or hay for the past three days. The vet had to anaesthetize Gideon in order to examine his teeth. When we arrived back home, Gideon was very pleased when I let him out of the carrier. As soon as the anesthetic wore off completely, he went to his bowl and ate some pellets. Then he hopped into his litter box and munched on some hay. After a few minutes, he drank some water. I was relieved that he was eating again. Though the visit cost me about sixty-four dollars, it was well worth it to have my little prince eating normally. ---------------------------------------------------------------- - When a Man Loves a Rabbit is filled with many more fascinating stories of life with house bunnies. These vignettes range from the tragic to the hilarious. Please click on the link to my books for details about both of my paperbacks. You're also welcome to contact me directly for more information.

1 comment:

  1. This was interesting. I heard horses are susceptible to gastro intestinal difficulties, but I didn't realize the same was true of rabbits. It's a good thing you were able to take your rabbit to the vet when you did.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.