Friday 3 August 2012

GIDEON THE WATCH RABBIT.

Believe it or not, I once had a watch rabbit. He didn't frighten burglars away but he did alert me to one person who entered my suite. This is how I discovered that Gideon, my house bunny, could actually be of help to me.

During August of 1997, one of the plastic bolts on the toilet seat snapped. I called my landlord the next day to come and replace it.

As I tidied up the bathroom the next afternoon, I expected my landlord to arrive at the front door. Suddenly I heard Gideon race out of the kitchen at top speed. All I saw was a white blur zoom past the bathroom door and into the bedroom. He stood there, ears straight up and eyes wide open, thumping his alarm.

As I started to leave the bathroom to calm Gideon down and see what frightened him, The landlord lugged his large tool kit down the hall. That must have been what panicked my fur sir so badly.

The fact that bunnies could be useful as alarms never occurred to me. His alertness made me feel somewhat safer.

After that day, I bragged to my friends on the PetBunny e-mail list that I had a watch rabbit.

When a Man Loves a Rabbit, my memoir of Gideon and his long-eared friends, is filled with many more fascinating stories of life with house bunnies. These vignettes range from the tragic to the hilarious. Please click on the link to my books for details about both of my paperbacks. You're also welcome to contact me directly for more information.

Additionally, please visit The House Rabbit Society site for everything you need to know about bunny care.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that bunnies make great watch dogs. We lived out in the country a few years ago. One night at dusk Lily began to stomp her feet, she was scared. Come to find out there was a fox with two kits in our front yard. She sensed them from inside the house. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.