Friday 24 August 2012

MEDICATING A RABBIT THE BURKISS WAY.

Contrary to popular belief, rabbits aren't always docile fur balls. They can become angry and uncooperative when something we do displeases them. This is particularly true when it comes to administering medication.

During Gideon's gastro-intestinal stasis episode in 1997, I had quite a battle to get his medicine inside him. Just catching him was hard enough.

Once Gideon realized that the syringe was going to be poked in his face again, he did everything in his power to get away. Each evening, I chased that rebellious little rabbit into the bathroom, grabbed his shoulders, and held him down while I tried to carefully squirt the medicine into his mouth. Gideon struggled so much that I had to pin him between my chest and the linoleum to prevent him wriggling free. Fortunately I didn't spill any medicine in spite of his contortions.

Once the torture was over, that put upon bunny raced into the bedroom and sulked under my chair for hours. What a relief it was for both of us when the daily medication torment came to an end after a week. Seeing Gideon eating and playing normally was also rewarding.

I wrote about these battles of the will in When a Man Loves a Rabbit: Learning and Living with Bunnies. This paperback also includes touching and hilarious vignettes of my life with house rabbits. Visit my book page to learn more about it.

Additionally, please visit The House Rabbit Society site for everything you need to know about bunny care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.