Tuesday 27 November 2012

BUNNIES AND TUNNLES.

Which pet store toys did you buy for your fur or feathered friend but he or she ignored them? I've once purchased chew sticks for my rabbits but none of them bothered to give them more than an exploritory nibble.

I've found that home made toys work much better, plus they're free. Additionally, products completely unrelated to pets can work to entertain them. One of those was a cardboard tube used for making concrete pillars. Here's an example from my When a Man Loves a Rabbit (Learning and Living With Rabbits) paperback that demonstrates this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry tried hopping through his, but the tube kept rolling from side to side. That ruined some of the fun, so I put the cardboard tunnel under the table and propped two water bottles against it. That worked great and Harry loved playing in that tube. It must have reminded him of being in a warren and it possibly gave him a sense of comfort.

Neutrino also loved his new toy. He even slept inside it. I moved the litter box, which he wasn’t using anymore, and placed the tube next to the fireplace.

I stashed Gideon’s tube under my bed and it took him a while to find it. When he did, he had just as much fun as the other two. I forget what I paid for the cardboard concrete tubes, but the joy I saw in my fur-clad lads repaid me a thousand times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When a Man Loves a Rabbit contains many helpful hints for rabbit care. Additionally, it is filled with many vignettes of life with these fascinating creatures. Please click the Bruce Atchison's books link at the top left of this page to learn more about this book and Deliverance from Jericho.

I've recently published How I Was Razed: A Journey from Cultism to Christianity. Use the search box at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Virtual Bookworm to learn more about this testamony of God's providence.

1 comment:

  1. When I was growing up, our cats never had toys, but once in a while, Mother bought them catnip mice. When I was an adult, my friend's cat played with toys. Some of them were interactive, meaning a human could play with the toys with the cat. Princess never liked me because when we first met, I was wearing cat slippers, and she thought I was two upside down cats attacking her. Even when I tried getting her to play with her toys, she wouldn't have anything to do with me.

    Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of
    We Shall Overcome
    and
    How to Build a Better Mousetrap:
    Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver
    http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.