Tuesday 12 November 2013

SOMETIMES, A BROTHER JUST NEEDS CHEERRING UP

Have you ever done a good deed without realizing it at the time? I've had the blessing of being a blessing to somebody else quite a few times. One of those "divine appointments" happened on a Greyhound bus traveling from North Battleford, Saskatchewan to Edmonton, Alberta.

I had been visiting my sister whose husband worked in North Battleford. As I settled in my seat on that gloomy November day, a young man sat down next to me. Though I would have rather listened to my radio, we made small talk as the bus headed west.

"If you were to die tonight, where would you go?" he asked. Being a Christian myself, I recognized his question and what he had in mind in asking it.

He smiled when I told him that I was a believer. Throughout the rest of that five-hour trip, we spoke of how we came to Christ and where we attended church. We became so wrapped up in our conversation that the hours flew by.

As the bus entered the outskirts of Edmonton, my new friend said, "I feel so much better now that we talked. I was in a car accident so I had to take the Greyhound back home. Talking with you really cheered me up."

I felt astonished that I helped this dear brother in Christ. People throughout my life gave me the distinct impression that I wasn't much good at doing anything. I'm sure the Lord led me and this man to sit beside each other for the very purpose of building us up spiritually.

I wrote about the many times when church people discouraged me in How I Was Razed: A Journey from Cultism to Christianity/i>. Read how God led me out of that toxic church at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Virtual Bookworm Publishers.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I think you must have really helped that man. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce, isn't it good how God not only allows us the privilege of helping others, but He encourages us at the same time? Thanks for reminding us to keep alert to the opportunities that come our way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An uplifting account of a divine appointment. Thanks for sharing Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I worked at the nursing home for fifteen years, I was often rewarded by the feeling I was doing a good thing. Some of the residents didn't have family or friends who visited regularly, and my piano or guitar playing and singing was the only thing they could look forward to. Some family members also appreciated what I did, and I was often asked to sing for residents' funerals. It's nice to feel like you've done a good thing for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.