Thursday 30 January 2014

HOW WOULD JEHU DRIVE?

Have you ever experienced something in your life which reminded you of an incident in the Bible? That happened to me in January of 1984 on the way home from a shortwave listeners' club meeting.

The verse which came to mind after the meeding was 2 Kings 9:20 (KJV). It reads, "And the watchman told, saying, 'He came even unto them, and cometh not again: and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.'" Chris, the man who gave me a lift home, certainly drove that way.

The city of Edmonton had recently received a dump of freezing rain. Consequently, the roads were extremely slippery. In spite of this, Chris sped through the city streets like he was Jehu furiously driving his chariot. When I suggested that he should slow down, he assured me he knew what he was doing.

All the way home, I prayed silently that God would protect us from a crash. At any moment, I expected to see blue and red flashing lights behind us but no police officer witnessed Chris breaking the speed limit.

I thanked the Lord over and over once I was safely in my apartment and my friend was gone. Fortunately for me, Chris never gave me a ride home from the shortwave club's meeting again.

I now know that prayer doesn't guarantee safety. Even so, God is sovereign and uses incidents in our lives to sculpt us into images of his beloved son, Jesus Christ.  If Chris had crashed his car, I'm sure the Lord would have used that for his glory and my good as well.

Perhaps part of that safe ride home was to encourage my trust in the heavenly Father.
I didn't know about his sovereignty back then so any bad incident made me think I was the cause of it happening. Now I know that the Lord works through both good and bad circumstances.

I wrote in my new book regarding the way I came to learn about this marvelous truth in How I Was Razed: A Journey from Cultism to Christianity. You can read more about it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Virtual Bookworm Publishers. Amazon will even let you look inside the book so you can judge for yourself if it's worth buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.