Tuesday 24 March 2015

HOW LONG DO RABBITS LIVE?

This is a question I'm often asked when I mention that I have a house rabbit. I usually say "Ten years on average." But I qualify that by saying that it depends on how healthy they are and how well they're cared for.

Like any other creature, genetics plays a part in rabbit longevity. For example, My departed Sierra only lived for about 4 years. She had some sort of seizure which left her paralyzed and her back legs quivered whenever I touched them. I realized that the kindest thing to do was to have her put down.

Neutrino was one rabbit who lived for ten years and a few months. His health was generally good, though he suffered from a chronic upper respiratory disease. He had some sort of seizure and died in his litter box.

I adopted a six-year-old bunny and named him Zachaeus, after the tax collector who  Jesus saw sitting and watching him up in a tree and who invited himself to dinner at the man's house. That rabbit developed a huge tumor in his belly and had to be put down. I only had the cute little guy for five months.

In all these cases, I fed my rabbits plenty of hay and alfalfa pellets. Though some of them had messy behinds after eating dandelions, I gave those weeds only to the bunnies who could digest them properly.

Additionally, I spent a lot of money on vet care for my long-eared friends. Veterinarians consider rabbits to be an exotic animal so owners need to find clinics specializing in the care of such creatures. Also beware of vets claiming to be able to treat rabbits. The local doctor did a poor job and treated my beloved bunnies roughly.

Amazing facts, like the ones I've described, are all in my debut paperback called When a Man Loves a Rabbit: Learning and Living with Bunnies. I only have a few copies left so Contact me directly.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.