Thursday 24 December 2015

Why Care About Christ's Birth?



What a mad rush everybody is in today. An observer from another world would be astonished at the huge deal we make of Christmas. "All this fuss for one day?" our imaginary visitor would exclaim upon seeing all the cooking, baking, shopping, decorating, and so many other frenzied activities we insist upon doing.

Lost in the rush each year is the birth of Christ. Apart from an hour-long service at churches this evening, Christians seem to act just like the rest of the world. Our traveler would be most amazed at the way we celebrate the birth of the Son of God.

There was a time when I turned my back on the Lord for nine miserable years. Two years into my rebellion, I quit celebrating Christmas the traditional way. It seemed pointless, and I still feel that way today, to decorate and buy gifts for those who would just return the favour.

What re ignited my fascination for Christ's birth once I returned to my senses was the myriad of Old Testament prophecies fulfilled by his birth. Read the gospels of Matthew and Luke. You'll see so many references to Old Testament prophecies mentioned there. And if you study other passages, you'll find more predictions regarding the life, death, and resurrection of the Messiah.

God willing, I hope to write a new book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? My hope is to deal with many objections people make to the truth about God's criteria for entry into eternal life. Contact me regarding this and previous books which I've written.

Have a blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.