Tuesday 17 May 2016

Why Did Fort McMurray Burn?

 This might not sound like it's related to the theme of this blog but it does. Amid all the feel-good stories on the news, reports arose about Facebook posts from environmentalists rejoicing that this oil sands city is receiving "karmic justice."  Those individuals don't realize how easily their homes and lives can be snuffed out.

In my previous posts, I noted how people refused to believe the evidence in nature. They are like the foolish farmer in Christ's parable. Here's what he said of those who care only for wealth and their own personal security in Luke 12:15-21 (Bible in Basic English).

"And he said to them, 'Take care to keep yourselves free from the desire for property; for a man's life is not made up of the number of things which he has.' And he said to them, in a story, 'The land of a certain man of great wealth was very fertile: And he said to himself, "What is to be done? for I have no place in which to put all my fruit".And he said, "This I will do: I will take down my store-houses and make greater ones, and there I will put all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have a great amount of goods in store, enough for a number of years; be at rest, take food and wine and be happy.'" But God said to him, "You foolish one, tonight I will take your soul from you, and who then will be the owner of all the things which you have got together?" So that is what comes to the man who gets wealth for himself, and has not wealth in the eyes of God."'

Our souls could be required of us in an instant. We don't know the time of our deaths so to live like we're made of gold and can't be sold is the height of hubris.

So is the idea that we can guess the intents of the Lord. Apparently, some folks think these disasters are the wrath of God. How presumptive and rash can people be? Look at what the Lord said in Deuteronomy 18:20 (KJV) "But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die." Though God doesn't strike dead presumptive preachers and fool hearty Christians today, it's still a dangerous thing to say "thus sayeth the Lord" when he didn't say it at all.

To those who don't believe in the Lord and those who do, I warn you not to get cocky and figure that you're immune to tragedy. The folks in Fort McMurray woke up on May third thinking the fire had been largely extinguished. By one o'clock, the flames roared into the city and everybody was ordered by the Alberta government to evacuate immediately. Life can change so quickly and we can't presume that we'll even be here tomorrow.

Placing your whole-hearted trust in Jesus and the forgiveness he purchased for you on the cross is what will get you into paradise. This is why I'm working on a new book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? This is the most important question you must answer since death is the cut-off point. Please choose wisely since eternity is endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.