Thursday 28 July 2016

Must Christians Take Medicine?

I heard a news report of a couple recently who let their toddler die because they assumed he had croup when he really had meningitis. Because of their belief in homeopathic medicine, they gave him garlic, onions, horse radish, and other types of food to eat.

I wish this sort of misplaced faith wasn't abounding in the church but it is. Some Christians believe that illnesses are just demons manifesting and they can be driven out by the power of their faith. These people assume that God has given them an unlimited charge card, the name of Jesus,  loaded with his authority and they can heal anybody they want with it. When nothing happens, the poor sick person is blamed for lacking faith.

What these mean-spirited fools fail to understand is that God works through doctors and medicine. In ancient Israel, the priests were also the local human health inspectors. If anybody had leprosy, they visited the priest who would inspect them. If the leprosy was spreading on the person or any sore was getting worse, they had to remove themselves from the company of others for a specified time.

Jesus obeyed this law when he healed ten lepers and acted accordingly. Luke 17:14 (KJV) states, "And when he saw them, he said unto them, 'Go show yourselves unto the priests.' And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed." He could have just healed them right there but he set an example that we need to follow.

Though there are still miraculous healings in rare cases today, God works through doctors. I know because I worked up my faith but my eyes were never healed. In fact they grew worse. That caused me to reject god for nine years until I learned about and accepted the Lord's sovereignty.

My book, How I Was Razed, shows the utter stupidity of having faith in faith and how the heavenly Father works through disabilities. Check it out on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.