Thursday 15 September 2016

Are Some Christians Superstitious?

I wrote last time about how the leader of an errant house church taught me all sorts of crazy and unbiblical doctrines. He, and his female sheep dog elder, had a superstitious mind set regarding demons. Like many Pentecostals and Charismatic believers, this couple inordinately feared Satan's minions.

One superstition they had was that the blood from the minister's stigmata wounds had special power to ward off demons and ill health. They adopted this notion by misapplying Acts 19:12 (KJV) which reads, "So that from his (Paul's) body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them."

They actually believed that those blood-stained rags would protect me from demonic harm and illnesses when I traveled to Toronto in the autumn of 1975. The fact that neither happened to me then didn't prove their assertion to be correct.

What we all need to remember is that the times of miracles, which I've already blogged about, occurred during specific time periods. There was the first batch during the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. Then there were the ones which happened during the times of Elijah and Elishah.
The third, and final, cluster of miracles happened during the times of Christ and his apostles.

Miracles rarely happen today. Like the silence from heaven between the periods of miracles in history, the Lord is doing no public display of wonders. Far too many Christians try to force God to heal themselves and their friends but it

I thank God heartily that he freed me from superstition and the fear which accompanies it. How I Was Razed is a book which tells the glorious story of how God led me out of that church and into his truth. Read more about it at Amazon.

doesn't happen without God's will requiring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.