Saturday 21 October 2017

Saturday Song: Donovan, "To Susan on the West Coast Waiting:

In the autumn of 1969, this song became a hit on Vancouver's rock stations. It resonated with me the first time I heard it as I too was waiting on the west coast of Canada. But what I anticipated was to return home for Christmas to my family.

Hear Donovan's ballad here.

The man in the poignant story was an American soldier in Vietnam who wrote a note to his girlfriend. He reassured her of his love and his desire to return to her. Though he was supposed to hate, he was consumed with Susan's love.

We Christians are in a war which has raged since Eden. Our heavenly Father allowed humanity the privilege of choosing him or Satan, allowing a greater good to happen in the end.

Like Christian rocker Larry Norman said, we're just visiting this planet. Our true home is in heaven. And as John wrote in Revelation 22:20 (KJV) I and many other believers feel the same way. "He which testifieth these things saith, 'Surely I come quickly. Amen.' Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

Did you like the song and what I've written? Please leave a comment in the box below. But if you'd rather not, have a terrific weekend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.