Tuesday 24 October 2017

Why Did Mormon Prophecies Fail?

I've written before about how to determine if a prophet is from the Lord or if that person is speaking lies. And even if the prophecy does come true, it's a test from God to see if people have discernment to see the fallacy of the prophecy.

But Joseph Smith, founder of Mormonism, blamed people's sins for the failure of his supposed prophetic utterances. Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:45 and 46, in reference to building a house for the Lord, says, "And if my people will hearken unto my voice, and unto the voice of my servants whom I have appointed to lead my people, behold, verily I say unto you, they shall not be moved out of their place. But if they will not hearken to my voice, nor unto the voice of these men whom I have appointed,they shall not be blest, because they pollute mine holy grounds, and mine holy ordinances, and charters, and my holy words which I give unto them."

In other words, any sin committed by  those men mentioned, as well as the congregants, would nullify God's blessing on their temple. This is an easy escape route for false prophets. They blame failure of their prophetic words on their followers rather than their own delusions of grandeur. This way, they can easily escape criticism.

According to the movies, Witness at Your Door and The Witness Goes Out, the Jehovah's Witnesses were blamed by their leaders for the failure of the 1975 great famine prophecy. I believe that other cult leaders also blame their followers when their prophecies fail to come to pass.

I'll be adding more about Mormons as well as Jehovah's Witnesses in my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? People must know how to detect false teachers and to test their teachings against what the Bible reveals. If they don't, they could end up in a cult. That happened to me since nobody taught me how to discern truth from lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.