Saturday 17 February 2018

Saturday Song: Sweathog, 'Hallelujah'

Young Christians are fortunate to have so many God-honouring rock bands to listen to. Their styles range from soft rock to death metal. This is because people realized that music is merely a vehicle for a message. And since the Lord was praised with instruments and voices in the Psalms, there's no reason why rock music can't be employed for gospel purposes.

But things were so different in the early seventies when I was a teenager. Many Christian elders claimed that rock music was evil. They said it was the Devil's music and some claimed I'd be possessed by a demon if I listened to it.

I thank God that not everybody thought so. A few bands actually sang about Jesus, though some of them weren't born again believers. One song stands out in my mind as being a wonderful song which praised my Lord and Saviour. A band called Sweathog released a song called "Hallelujah" in 1972.

Hear this song here. Sorry about the commercial.

Though my church friends condemned me for listening to that "satanic" music, I cranked the volume whenever a god-honouring song came on. And though it was trendy to mention Jesus in songs in the early seventies, I still enjoyed those songs.

I felt sad when I found out later that Norman Greenbahm, Ocean, and The Doobie Brothers weren't devoted to Christ. Even so, I enjoyed their hits.

This also shows that people can profess to be saved but their lives show that they're lying. As Jesus said in Matthew 7:16 (KJV), "Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?"

So, what do you think? Were you around when these hits were brand new? Did you enjoy them? If you want to, please leave me a comment in the box below. And if not, have a wonderful weekend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.