Thursday 8 March 2018

Why Were the Jews God's People?

I pointed out before why God chose the descendents of Israel. But why would he do that? Couldn't the Messiah have been born into any family?

We see one reason for this seemingly strange way of saving humanity in Genesis 12:3 (KJV) which explains, "And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed."

God chose the most stubborn of all peoples to work his will through in order to display his awesome power. Judges 7:2 (KJV) shows why he worked through the Jews. "And the LORD said unto Gideon, 'The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, "Mine own hand hath saved me"'."

The preservation of the lineage of Judah is also a miracle. Through the times of punishment, when God let other nations afflict Israel, there were always some left to carry on the line of the Messiah. As Jeremiah 29:10 and 11 state, "For thus saith the LORD, 'That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,' saith the LORD, 'thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.'"

Furthermore, the nation of Israel was chosen to be messengers of the Lord to the world. Isaiah 66:18 and 19 (KJV)states,  "For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory. And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles."

I'll be writing more about how the Lord worked through Israel to save humanity in my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? The entire Bible is the story of how God rescued humanity. Understanding that truth makes the whole of holy scripture make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.